Re: Clutch(?) problem

In a message dated 7/20/99 10:15:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided, Bil writes:

<< My clutch is making that 'marbles in a drum- dead bearing' noise, which
worsens as the pedal is depressed, and lessens (does not go away) when the
pedal is released. A sensation of scraping is coming through the pedal
itself. Does this sound familiar to anyone? If so, what's broken?
HHHEEELLLPPP!!!>>

Sounds like the release bearing(i.e. throwout bearing) went south to me. It's
probably spinning on the trans. input shaft, but still performs a function.
Is the pedal hard to push or normal?

If normal, and then gets hard with accompanying increase in "noise" you can
bet the metal tabs broke off the throwout bearing...definitely time then for
a clutch change.

If you replace the throwout bearing, clutch, p.plate, etc...DON'T FORGET TO
REPLACE THE PIVOT PIN for the release lever...once is enough when removing
the transmission...ask me how I know!

Good luck,

John Weese
BMW CCA #76646