RE: <E30> '91 318i tires -- the list

The final choices came down to two all-season high-perf tires.

1. Yoko Avid H4
2. Bridgestone Potenza RE930

I went with the Yokos for now.

One thing to note about the Dunlop is that they changed the design
of the tire without changing the name.  Consumer reports gave this tire
the nod, but then mentioned this change in a later issue.

I heard from many people that the AVSi are excellent track tires.
However, I'm not convinced that they can compare to the two tires
mentioned above in the rain.  Both tires mentioned above are
uni-directional.  Both tires sweep water to the sides.  The H4 also has
deep channels.  Tire racks survey results show 7.0 for wet and 6.5 for
hydro resistance for the AVSi.  I'm not too sure this will cut it here in
Portland, OR.

The Continental CH95 is an excellent touring tire, but doesn't seem to
have the handling characteristics of a high-perf all-season.  Also, I've
heard some horror stories about sidewall blowouts in their past?

The P4000 and MXV4 Energy+ are also touring tires.  They probably have a
good ride, but I demand more .:-)

...And anything beats Blizzaks for handling :-)...BTW, does anyone want to
buy my Blizzaks? 195/65R14, 7k miles?

I hope this helps someone who is looking for a good 14" tire.  It was a
time consuming process and I think I'm done for now.  If the handling of
the Avid H4's suck, I'll buy the AVSi.

Happy driving!

- -- Mark C. Davis mdavis@domain.elided