RE: Protect alloys against brake dust?

>   Stock BMW pads seem to put out large amounts of brake dust.
> Looking through archives some have put in the dust shields or
> replaced the pads. Both of those have their downsides, and
> just reduce the problem.

	Matt, your are exactly right. Brake pads dust. Some dust more then
others, but dust is an inevitable by product of brake pad wear.
	Repco Deluxes (not MetalMasters) dust less and their dust is
silver-ish, thus less visible. They will fade with repeated heavy braking,
but probably not on the street.

>   Is there anything I can put on these wheels that will repel
> brake dust, or at least make it easy to spray off?  A friend
> suggested waxing them, but I don't know what that'd do to the
> alloy or coatings that exist on the wheels or how brake dust
> will react with the wax.

	Wax will work on your wheels the same way it does on the shiny part
of the car. It will not damage the paint. But it only helps if a). applied
in huge amounts; b). the brake pad dust is washed off from the wheels right
after a track session. That is to say it will probably not work very well on
the street.
	Fighting brake dust is futile. Sooner or later you just have to get
used to live with it (I did) or give up using the brakes (impact braking is
equally effective ;).
	Try Repco Deluxes. We now rarely clean my wife's wheels (she is on
Deluxes from a local auto store) and they always look better then mine (I am
with Pagid's from www.ultimategarage.com).

have fun,
alex