<E28> RE:BIG wheels/tires (?)

- ----snip---Bimmernauts,
 What is the absolute biggest wheels/tires that has been used? I'm running Bilstein sports, H&R springs, Dinan sway bars.  currently have 225/50-15 Comp T/As on 7" rims. The rear fender lip has been ground down to the spot welds. If you look below, you'll see why I'd like to migrate the 255/40-17s to the rear of the 5er...

Opinions?
Rgards,
Doug Dykaar
                                       (Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, eh)
85 535i
The biggest I've seen first hand on an E28 are 245/40-17 front and 275/35-17 rear.  To accommodate the 275's in the back, the car had mildly flared fenders, ground and reinforced control arm seams, and modified (hammered) inner fenders.  255/40-17's on 17x9's should fit in the back with fender lip rolling and minor trimming of the control arm seam assuming an offset of 30mm, according to measurements I took on my car.  The same wheel tire combination should fit up front with at least a 15mm spacer and 2-1/2 deg. negative camber.  I hope to have this setup on my car before September.  I have not ried this yet, so proceed at you own risk.

Ed

Ed Walters
Team DFL
teamdfle28@domain.elided