Wheels for 1997 M3

Hi folks,
I'm trying to buy a 1997 M3 sedan, and I've been told that you can fit 16"
rims to these cars by BMW tech Services, Canada. That really appeals to me,
because I'm not a good enough driver to appreciate the 17" standard size
tires, and I know what they cost , and how fast they wear out! So...

Can anyone tell me if they have done this ? Any particular tips like an
offset spec. (perhaps 41mm ?) ? Any recommended actual wheel ? Tirerack says
that only Borbet type T, with spacers, or Mille Miglia Spiders, no spacer,
will fit.

Thanks for any help, Doug C., Reno, Nevada.

End of bmw-digest V9 #1140