E30 325ix engine overheat

Hi:

I've got a 89 325ix which tends to overheat(temp gauge will move =
slightly over from normal towards the red side but never reaching the =
first tick).  The water pump seems to be running normal as I don't hear =
any strange noise or see any coolant leaks.  The engine seems to be =
running fine too except for the higher than normal temp gauge reading.  =
Could this be the thermostat?  I hope someone can shed some light as to =
where I can start troubleshoot.  Many thanks.

Martin