RE: E34 Front End Shimmy

Eugene,

I recently had a similar problem predominatley coming from the right side,
(shimmy and clunk over small bumps and some vibration at 100-120 kmh). First
changed out the thrust arm bushings, but problem did not go away completely.
While I had the thrust arm(s) out I did check the ball joints, the right
side was quite loose with a tiny bit of vertical play, the other still good
and stiff. I figured that if the problem did not go away it was the ball
joint. The clunking was still there, so I next replaced the thrust arm, and
lo and behold problem gone.

Its probably a good idea to check the ball joint on the thrust arm if you
are going to replace the bushing. If the joint flops around at all it is
probably due to be changed especially on any vehicle with  substantial
mileage.

Hope this helps.

Bill

90 525i [E34] Sharked