E34 Auxiliary water pump

Hi all,
	I have a question regarding the auxiliary water pump. My auxiliary water
pump fuse (15 amp) keeps blowing after about a week running. I'm not sure
of the exact function of this waterpump, however, I tried putting a 20 amp
fuse and that one blows after about a week as well. Is it safe to run
without an auxiliary waterpump and how can I check to see what the problem
is?
	Right now I'm running the pump with a 30 amp fuse and it hasn't blown yet.
Is this safe?
Any info would be appreciated

Mario

1990 BMW 525I