Re: bmw-digest V9 #1129

> Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 09:19:30 -0400
> From: "Michael Blair" <mjblair@domain.elided>
> Subject: A Dumb Question
>
> Call me an old fart, but my performance days are far behind me --
> car-wise, that is.
>
> I remember Weber carbs and full-race cams and superchargers -- hung around
> Mosport. Ontario, for a few years in the early 60s, very briefly "raced" a
> punched out 1960 Austin Healy Sprite (the little bug-eyed job that was my
> very first car) until the transmission blew and I realized that racing was
> just too effing expensive -- and the girls liked my "new" '56 MGA whether
> I raced it or not...
>
> In '93 I bought an '84 318i, which I recently replaced with an '88 325e
> (the 318 was nimbler but the 325 is gutsier). I also recently discovered
> this list and some of the highly entertaining (although often
> less-than-informative) BMW-related websites.
>
> Oh, yeah, the dumb question I mentioned ... what the hell's a Dinan or a
> Conforti "chip". I mean, OK, I know it's a computer thingimabob (I am not
> totally computer illiterate) that controls, I suppose, the fuel and
> ignition systems, but the implication seems to be that you can boost the
> performance of your car simply by replacing the chip.
>
> Or am I missing something? Can anyone point me at an FAQ that will explain
> what the chip does in really simple, basic language.
>
> - --
> Michael Blair
> 88 325e

Michael,

You've got the basic idea.  For a better idea of what is going on, you
should go check out http://www.bonnevillemotorwerks.com/  That is Jim
Conforti's site, who we all accept as the king of chips.  But, I notice
you have an 88 325e, the 'super eta.'  Jim C does not make a chip for that
engine because he can only get about 3 horsepower out of it and it's not
really worth it to you.  (As a side note, the 85-87 gain 20 hp out of just
a Jim C. chip change)  Some of the other tuners (like Dinan) do make chips
for it, but the improvements will be minimal.  For a listing of the
possible gains from a chip, you can check out
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/catalog/tms_chips.htm

Enjoy your car.  The eta has a ton of torque, and I sometimes miss it
(then I stick my foot in the throttle and forget about it :) )

- -Kevin
'90 325i
'86 325--eta, dead and gone
NCC BMW CCA

Kevin Henry					       Kevin.Henry@domain.elided
Template Software						 (703) 318-1238

     A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train
                  stops. On my desk I have a work station...