Re: Fuel Filter? Where?

Robert,

I have an E30 318i (1985).  The fuel filter is in the engine compartment,
mounted on the left side strut tower, below the brake master cylinder.  It's
a silver cylinder with the fuel feeding into the bottom and the filtered
fuel feeding out of the top and to the engine.

It is somewhat of a pain in the ass to replace, but I've done it so many
times that it's now just time-consuming.  The filter is held in place by a
round "hose clamp" which goes around the filter and the bracket mounted on
the strut tower.  Loosening the clamp is the easy part.  There are two hose
clamps (one on each fuel line) which need to be loosened.  And. since the
filter is full of fuel, you'll need to be careful in how you handle it.
Another challenge is getting the filter out of it's location.  It's a tight
fit either removing it from the top or from the bottom.

Some tips:  What I do is:

1) Loosen the clamp which holds the filter in it's bracket.
2) Loosen the two fuel line clamps and slide the clamps away from the
filter.  Don't remove the lines yet!
3) Using two small vise grip pliers (actually, I use two surgical clamps)
pinch off the fuel lines close to the filter (but past the metal fittings
attached to the filter).
4) Remove the top fuel line.  Use one of the plastic caps from the new
filter to cover the exposed fuel filter opening.
5) Remove the bottom fuel line and QUICKLY put your finger over the exposed
fuel filter opening to prevent fuel from leaking out.  Use the other plastic
cap from the new filter to cover the exposed fuel filter opening.
6) Remove the fuel filter from the engine compartment, taking care to keep
the plastic caps on the filter.  You can wrap a piece of duct tape around
the ends of the filter to secure the caps.  I usually remove it from the
top, although you can remove it from the bottom, too.  Either way is a tight
fit, but you won't need to remove any parts to get the filter out.
7) Be sure to install the new filter in the proper direction (there's an
arrow on the side).  The arrow should be pointing UP.
8) Reattach the fuel lines to the filter.  DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE FILTER
CLAMP AROUND THE FILTER BEFORE YOU ATTACH THE UPPER LINE!
9) Remove the vise grips or surgical clamps.
10) Tighten the hose clamps securely.
11) Start car and check for leaks.  Since you have an empty filter it will
take a few seconds for the fuel pump to fill the filter and get fuel to the
engine, so the engine will crank a little longer before it starts.

Be sure to empty the fuel from the old filter before you put it in the
trash.  I usually let it drain into my lawn mower.

Filter-changing time is also a good time to look at the condition of ALL the
rubber fuel lines under the hood.  Flex them to see if they are starting to
crack.  If some are cracking, then you should replace ALL OF THEM (since
they'll all be on the verge of cracking).  You can buy a 5-6 foot piece of
high pressure fuel hose and cut it to match the various pieces that you'll
need to replace.  Be sure to buy the proper hose (it's expensive).  You
won't find it for 50 cents/foot at Pep Boys.

Good luck!

- -rb

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:32:07 -0500
>From: Robert Phelan <centuri@domain.elided>
>Subject: Fuel Filter?  Where?
>
>Well, I looked at the Bently manual and it looked like the Fuel Filter
>would be an easy thing to replace.  Problem being,  it's not where the
>manual said it should be.  It's an 86 325es and the manual says it
>should be in front of the gas tank.  I certainly don't see it.  I
>checked around and there is a canister in the engine compartment that
>looks alot like the replacement part, and it has a fuel line running
>strait to the fuel rail.  I figure that's got to be it, but the manual
>says otherwise and it would be a HUGE pain to get that canister out.
>Any idea where that thing is supposed to be, and if it is what I think
>it is, is there some easier way to remove it without taking out the
>steering linkage?
>
>Robert

End of bmw-digest V9 #1128