Fuel Filter? Where?

Well, I looked at the Bently manual and it looked like the Fuel Filter
would be an easy thing to replace.  Problem being,  it's not where the
manual said it should be.  It's an 86 325es and the manual says it
should be in front of the gas tank.  I certainly don't see it.  I
checked around and there is a canister in the engine compartment that
looks alot like the replacement part, and it has a fuel line running
strait to the fuel rail.  I figure that's got to be it, but the manual
says otherwise and it would be a HUGE pain to get that canister out.
Any idea where that thing is supposed to be, and if it is what I think
it is, is there some easier way to remove it without taking out the
steering linkage?

Robert