Re: bmw-digest V9 #1121

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, bmw-digest wrote:

> It idles like a harley and bucks like a mule under light acceleration.
> When pushed past 1/2 way down it smooths out, and when floored it appears
> to have full power.  Black smoke is seen exiting the tailpipe especially
> when floored after running badly for a while.
>
> Then, like magic, it smooths out and runs fine for a short while.  When it
> comes back to life the idle shoots up to about 1700 for a while and then
> calms down.  This happened about a month ago for 3-4 days and then
> starightened itself out.  Now its back, and the frequency of running right
> is down.
>
> The MPG guage reads around 6 MPG except when dropped to idle, then it reads
> about 25 going downhill at 60 MPH.  Normally it would peg the needle all
> the way left when coasting, so it is burning a lot of fuel even at idle.
>
> And the smell is interesting.  (I assume its the smell of partially
> combusted fuel)

Hmm...

My problem sounds remarkably similar to Craig's, so maybe we should get
together and brainstorm. :) At any rate, anyone who has any ideas, please
send them to Craig and I. I'm planning on checking all electronics
tonight, so, Craig, I'll let you know what I find if it of it seems
relevant.

Once again, thanks for any and all help in advance.

Micah Stupak
'84 528e