RE: bmw-digest V9 #1121

		Craig wrote:Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:34:55 -0500
		Help, my poor car ('87 325i) is sick.

		I am currently getting about 6 MPG.  That ain't normal.

		It idles like a harley and bucks like a mule under light
acceleration.
		When pushed past 1/2 way down it smooths out, and when
floored it appears
		to have full power.  Black smoke is seen exiting the
tailpipe especially
		when floored after running badly for a while.

		Craig:

		That sounds like unmetered air getting in through an intake
hose near the throttle body.  When the engine 'flexes' the hose moves and
even a small crack near the bellows can allow the unmetered air in.  The car
tries to compensate, but cannot, hence the bucking.  Try grabbing the hose
and pulling on it while the car is idling, you should hear the change in
pitch.  I had this problem on a Toyota Supra, and the first thing the
service manager did to my car, while admiring it's low miles, was to yank on
that hose (actually it is more of an intake chamber tube than a hose, but I
don't know the proper term).

		Ed Fisher
		1985 325e 34,500 miles

		P.S.  I have remedied the overhead oil light illuminating
with the change of an oil level switch that goes into the oil pan.  Thanks
to all list members who responded.  I like a little Input before tossing
down 130.00 for a part.