<E30> Removing Instrument Cluster

Hi all,
How do I get the instrument cluster out of an E30?
More specifically, the dashboard light has failed on the speedometer side. I
figured out removing the bottom valance, got the trim off from around the
cluster, and have the cluster moving around loose. I tilt and jiggle it, but
there doesn't seem to be enough room to pull it through the dash opening. Does
the steering column cover need to come off? If so, how? Is there a magic
sequence for getting this thing out of there?
This is a '91 318is.
TIA, this new-fangled BMW stuff is tricky -- there's a lot more plastic to
break!
Gerald Stanley
Lexington KY
'70 2500 <-- Freshly crushed ;-(