Re: 87 535i problems

In a message dated 6/8/99 9:01:08 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Recently on occasion, I've been able to smell gas from the cabin of the
 car while driving. At first, I thought I was behind somebody else's car
 with the problem. Then my son said "dad do you smell gas?". It doesn't
 happen all the time, but it's happening more often now. It seems as
 though things are starting to go wrong with this wonderful car i.e. (air
 conditioning just went out, the heater seems to be on even with the air
 temp dial all the way on cold, and now this gas smell). >>

One possibility for the gas smell may be the cold start valve. It's a PITA to
replace but sometimes it does stick or the o ring seal goes bad.
>From what little you said about the heater it could be just a rebuild of the
heater valve on the firewall (BMP Designs - around $30) or the temperature
adjusting rheostat on the center console ($180 and some tear down and
replacing of interior parts).
Fred Callender RMC