533i Over heating

I have a 1983 533i which tends to get very hot when sitting traffic on a
warm day.  The backup fan does kick in, but not normally until the
temperature guage is almost at the red.  I suspect the fan switch, which
is temperature controlled has 'moved' over the years and is kicking in
too high.

Does anyone agree, where is the switch on the engine, and lastly, are
there any Bentley manuals out there wanting a new home - I'd like to buy
one and if I can't get one here I'll have to order it from Bavarian
Auto.

Thanks - Damian Horner.

End of bmw-digest V9 #1114