<E30> Ellipsoid to E-Code Headlight Conversion

I am not happy with the performance of the ellipsoid "projector" headlight
setup on my '89 325i. I have a Hella E-Code setup taken off my previous
Bimmer, want to install it but the existing headlight setup doesn't use the
old style "buckets". I know the older E30s used "standard" lights. The
headlight "carrier" attaches to the body with several large Phillips head
screws, should come out easily.

a) Do I need to replace the entire "carrier", or will stock "buckets" fit the
existing carrier?

b) Will parts from earlier year E30s fit?  What years?

I know that opinions vary about the "projector" type lights- maybe someone
has parts left over from installing projector lights on his/her earlier model
BMW?
I'd appreciate any advice from anyone who has done this conversion.

TIA-

George W. Traminer
Martinez, CA