fuel pressure regulator

Dear fellow listers,

Does the fuel pressure regulator on a BMW go bad easily?  My '86 325e
(140,000 mi) has a loopy, surging idle, and I am still trying to track the
problem down.  My local FLAPS has a fuel pressure gauge that fits onto a
schrader fitting (American cars?), but I decided it would be a pain to use
it.  Anybody else have experience with the fuel pressure regulator?

Someone else mentioned that the idle control valve can pass the electrical
and mechanical tests described in the Bentely manual, and still be bad.
Comments?

Sincerely,

John Hung
Auburn, AL