Re: Search for 328 continues...

>Hey, I have a question, how many of you guys own 3 series 325/328 cars with
>an automatic transmission?  I was told by 4 different dealers that they
>could not sell a 5 speed because no one wanted one.  I mean good grief.
>What good is a 3 series with an automatic?  Honey ,will you take the kids
>soccer practice?

>Brent

>94 740i

Brent, I have a '92 325i with an automatic. No question 5 speeds are more
fun but automatics do have their place. I bought my car used so I had no
input on the transmission. Automatics are much bigger sellers, at least here
in the US. I beg to differ with your approach to "What good is a 3 series
with an automatic?". I drive in a ton of traffic so there are plenty of
times when a 5 speed would just be a pain in the ass. It is also nice to
have an extra hand available to operate all the gadgets, cd's, cell phone
etc that most modern cars are equipped with these days. I know autoboxes
aren't popular on this digest (where enthusiasts hang out) but some of us
have to drive our cars everyday. BMW's have far less of a presence in NA if
they didn't offer automatic transmissions as an option. I know very few
people these days that still drive sticks. A true BMW purist might not even
approve of an automatic in the 7 series! Unfortunately that is what BMW
saddled all US E32 740's and 750's (most 735's except a few early 88-90
models). I long for a 6 speed in the 750 because with the automatic you feel
like you have to get the car to "wake-up" first. Despite my reasoning for
automatics, I still think 5 speeds are more fun, especially in a BMW. :-)

Regards,

John

1990 750iL
1992 325iA