Wheel Question

     I have a 1984 533I and I plan to change out the  metric wheels and
tires.  I have been advised to go with  7 X 15 inch alloys.  However, the
door panel on the car calls for either the 165 X 390 metrics  or a 6 or 6.5
X 14 inch 195 65 etc.  My question is as follows; if I switch to the 15 inch
wheels will it have an effect on my speedometer as the car  has been
calibrated for the aforementioned wheel sizes?  Additionally, I have been
told that a 14 inch high performance tire will provide similar if not the
same handling characteristics as a 15 inch high performance tire / wheel
combination.  As I am not one to frequent tracks, but I do engage in some
spirited "legal"  limit pushing with the car, will I as a novice notice a
difference between the 14 and 15 inch wheel combinations?  I realize that
the "difference" is totally subjective, nonetheless I solicit your or the
groups opinion.

Thanks

Bob