re: 325es starter installation

Mike:

I recently replaced the starter on my '91 325i.  It was a royal PITA.
Simple procedure in theory: disconnect the wires, remove two nuts holding
starter on, reinstall & reconnect.  But, the starter is located in a down
low, tight spot.

I went in from the top (engine), but I had to cut away a few coolant hoses,
which I wanted to replace anyhow.  The wiggle 'n swear method became my
mantra.  Unfortunately, the new (reman'd) Bosch starter that I installed
was bad.  So I took my car to my mechanic for Round 2.  I believe they
replaced it from underneath.  Either way, it's very difficult because of
the location of the bolts.  If I had to do it again, I would try from
underneath; there's just too many hoses and wiring in the way when changing
from up top.

Before you reconnect the wires to the new starter, be sure to clean them.
This is important.  Poor contact at the starter can appear to be a weak
battery, or bad starter.  In fact, are you sure the starter is bad?  This
month's Popular Mechanics magazine had a great write-up about
trouble-shooting starter problems.

Ted Staib
Fairfax, VA
'91 325i

>> I need to change the starter in my daughter's 325es (can't wait for my
>> service manual to arrive).  Any help would be appreciated.  Do I have to
>> remove any other components to get to starter.  Remove from top of car,
>> or from underneath?

Thanks for any advice,
Mike

computer.