RE: E-30 air-conditioning question

> Recently the air conditioner system has been blowing
> unchilled air while driving at low speeds and while Idling.
> After a trip to the A/C shop, I am told that the condenser
> fan is not functioning

Scott,
	I could be wrong, but I do not believe there is a separate condenser
fan in the E30 AC system. The fan is one and the same for HVAC.
	Does the fan work period (with AC off)? At all 4 speeds or just 4
(highest)?

> When I started it next the fan came on and operated correctly.
> The next time it wouldn't come on at all. An intermittent
> electrical fault is my tentative diagnosis.

	Sounds like the fan is intermittent. Is it only intermittent at 1-3
speeds? If it always works at 4, but is flaky at speeds 1-3, it is the fan
resistor. This is a common problem on E30's (and I've read about a few on
E36's).
	The resistor sits right behind the firewall. It is roughly a 2x3x3
plastic rectangle with two sides cut out exposing 3 springs inside. It plugs
right into the blower behind the firewall. Once you remove 8-10 screws and
pull the firewall panel out (long panel below the windshield in the engine
compartment) you will see it sitting smack in the middle. Can't miss it. It
pulls out and up. A new one is about $20 from the dealer.

hope this helps,
alex