paint on E36 M3

I don't have a Dakar Yellow ///M3 but a Cosmos black one. However I do have
some insight for you.

First, the process of shooting the paint into the next panel to prevent an
obvious problem with color matching is called "blending." All reputable and
knowledgeable paint shops blend. If you don't blend you will have two
different looking panels. Also...don't expect to get an OEM panel and have
it match directly. Being that the car is 4+ years old, the paint has
oxidized some what. It doesn't matter how often you maintain the paint or
keep it parked indoors, the finish you had when it was new does not match
the vibrant color of the paint now. It may look similar (and it very well
may be) however, it is not identical...and thorough examination or a
discriminating enthusiast will know.

Let em' blend. Just make sure you are going to a reputable shop. Try to stay
away from shops that color match by "sight." The eye lies! There have been
serious developments in paint technology. Try to find a shop that uses
computer aided technology. Computer aided machines take a "snapshot" of the
paint and automatically transmit an identical color match equation to the
mixer. There are also shops that use computers and machines as mixers
instead of people to minimize operator error...go figure, sorry mixers! And
make sure they use the same brand of paint as BMW does...I'm not sure what
that is, maybe someone else can help you out...it's either PPG, Sikkens,
DuPont, BASF, etc. Good luck.

B.J.
95 M3