Re <consideration over 318IS>

Bryan Tisch wrote:
<I am considering (still) the purchase of a 1994 318is.  The owners are
asking 14,900.  The car is in immaculate condition both inside and out and
has 75,000 miles on it.  I would like to get some thoughts about this car
regarding safety, winter driving, and longevity.

First, how can I tell if this car has a limited slip differential?  How do I
know if it has traction control?  I am concerned with it's handling in
winter weather, how do all of yours handle?  Which item would make a better
difference on snow covered roads, a LSD or traction control?

Despite the fact that the 1994 318is is only a 1.8 liter 4 cylinder engine,
how will it hold up?  Will it be fine well into the 100,000's?  Reliability
and snow traction are the most important concerns I have before purchasing
this car.  Please offer any suggestions, thanks!>

Bryan:
Don't worry!  I have a '91 318i (old E30 square body style, but newer 16-valve
M42 motor) with an open (non-limited-slip) differential, and "Dave Traction
Control" (i.e. my right and left feet).  In the snow I run Dunlop Graspic snow
tires, and if the snow's real bad I put 180 lbs. (two bags) of Sakrete in the
trunk.  I've had no trouble whatsoever getting around thusly.  As for
reliability, I've got 107K miles on mine with very few problems (nothing major,
other than the "timing case profile gasket" which was already replaced when I
bought the car) -- I've needed new rear wheel bearings, had a crack in the
plastic tank of the radiator, and that's about it in 65,000 miles of driving.
I'm very happy with this car, and I expect to get 200-250K miles out of the
4-cylinder motor.  At the "almost half-life" point, it starts and runs
flawlessly, doesn't leak or burn any oil, and gets me 28-30 mpg routinely.  Do
keep in mind that the later-model E36 318i you're considering weighs 200-300
lbs. more than mine, with the same power, so it will be a bit slower.  But it
should still get you around OK.
     Dave Spiegelthal
     Calverton, VA