Re: Considering an E30 Daily Driver - Tips? Comments?

Scott,
     I highly recommend a '90 or '91 318i, assuming the "timing case profile
gasket" repair has been made.  I've got a '91 4-door with manual trans and 107K
miles on it, which I drive 30K miles a year commuting and hauling kids around
in.  It's a ball to drive with the 16V DOHC engine (M42) and manual trans, it's
economical (28-30 mpg always), and since it's relatively lightweight at 2600
lbs., it drives much like the old sports sedans of yore.  I feel it's a modern
2002 with nearly all of the fun and none of the drawbacks of the older car.
Rust is not a problem, all the electrical and mechanical systems are reliable
and reasonably simple, and the car is inexpensive to buy and moderate to
maintain.  A car like mine shouldn't cost you more than $7500 retail, and if you
shop diligently you might be able to get a decent 100K mile car for as little as
$5000.  Do make sure the timing case profile gasket has been upgraded ---
there's plenty of information out there about this particular problem and its
solution.  Good luck!
     Dave Spiegelthal
     Calverton, VA