Considering an E30 Daily Driver - Tips? Comments?

I am considering purchasing a E30 to use as a daily driver and
possibably occasional autox (my 87 Corvette is my primary autox car).  I
would only be interested in a Manual Trans and probably more interested
in a 4-door than a 2-door but this is somewhat flexible.  What I am
curious about is what models and years should I look for?  I am tending
towards a 325i or 325is but I am wondering about the 325e or 318i.
Reliability and fun to drive are my primary concerns.  Are there any
particular years to avoid? or look for? any features I would want/not
want?  As I am in Michigan, what areas should I check for rust?  What
other mechanical issues should I look for as I am probably in the market
for a 100k mile car?  All of my prior experience is with GM products but
I need a RWD Manual transmission car with a useable back seat.  I am
already in the process of ordering a Bentley E30 manual.

Thanks for your help

Scott