re: Accident!!!

Sounds like your car is more damaged than you thought.  Based on your
description of the shifter , exhaust, and driveshaft being affected, I'd
say the engine has been pushed back or moved forward during the impact.
Check the engine mounts.   Also check the integraty of the subframe and
the unibody structure it attaches to.

Good luck,
J.
'89 325i and other BMWs