<E30> O2 Sensors

Hi

I know this has been gone over before, but there has always been a few
unanswered questions. I have a 1987 325IS and I need to replace the O2
sensor. Various people on these digests have used the Bosch 13942 (three
wires 2 white one black) from a 1990 mustang 5.0, to replace the sensor in
their BMW. My sensor is a 4 wire sensor (2white, one black, one gray).

What does the gray wire do? Is it safe to run without it? Does anyone know a
bosch part number that is a 4 wire sensor (other than from the BMW dealer).
This sensor performs a critical function so I do not want to be penny wise
and pound foolish, but the $38 price tag of the #13942 three wire sensor is
tempting if it will work as well as the OEM part.

Does anyonw know for sure?

Thanks

Don Stevenson/BMWCCA Boston Chapter

1988 325IS, (to much to list), should have stayed the street car.

1987 325IS, project, should have been the track car.

1988 Volvo 240 Wagon 5 Speed (green alloy wheels)