<E30> - Service Indicator batteries

ok...so I've lived on the edge for the last 12 plus years...finally the
ni-cads wore out (yellow and red service indicator lights remain on w/ key
off!) on the service indicator board on the '87 325.  I've looked through
Bentley and it only shows how to diagnose, but somewhere in the back of my
mind I recall that people have removed the old batteries and installed fresh
ni-cads.  Anyone have a pointer to a www site that has this info?  complete
w/ the correct number and type of battery?  (I found the www site w/ Rick
Kjeldsen's description, but it didn't have the battery number...is it a AA
w/ 1.2 volts?  is that sufficient to get the correct battery?  Thanks in
advance!  John
'95 740i - 51k
'87 325 - 166k and going strong!!!  ok...so a dead ni-cad isn't bad for this
many years.....