E30 ETA Idle problem

My '84 325e is idling too high ~1200 RPM when warm, and does the
700-1200 RPM surge that according to the FAQs is caused by
the idle valve not keeping the RPMs below 1200 RPM (the Motronic
cuts the fuel when RPMs exceed 1200rpm with the throttle closed).

My idle solenoid tests OK.   I can control the idle speed of the car
with a variable voltage power supply connected to the idle solenoid.

I have also tried three different ICUs, and they all behave the same way.

I don't have a factory or bently manual (only chilton and haynes -- neither
of which have a thorough dianostic procedure for this problem).

Does anyone have any acurate info on what signals I should see
one the following inputs to the ICU?

Engine Temp
Coolent Temp Switch
Engine RPM