Re: Battery with Vent Tube for under-seat 92 525i

Jonathan Schwartz wrote:
>I'm trying to replace my under the back seat battery in a '92 525 and=
> hopefully avoid buying from the dealer at double/triple prices. The first=
> battery I bought didn't have the vent tube ( I'm holding off installing=
> it), and I suspect it's a poor idea to go without it...although my BMW=
> mechanic advised me that it didn't matter.
>
>Two questions:=20
>1) Does it matter?
>2) Do other OEM manufacturers offer vent tube connections?
>3) What are we paying the dealer for BMW batteries these days.  Might be=
> time to bite the bullet.

Answers:

1) Yes, unless acid and gases inside the car with you don't bother you.
(It's very dangerous to use a non-vented battery inside where it should be
vented.)

2) Other manufacturers offer vented batteries.  OEM would be Douglas and
they are available nationwide from Batteries Plus (
http://www.batteriesplus.com for the store nearest you or call 800
67START), the same exact battery as what you'd buy from the BMW dealer.  In
your case I would go with the larger battery which is used in the E34 V8s
and 7 series, it will not cost more and your mounting is made for it.
Should be around $75 from Batteries Plus.  Interstate and others offer
vented batteries that will sort of fit and vent when used with adapters but
the Douglas is what the new cars and the dealers use and fits perfect.

3) Only matters if you don't have a Batteries Plus or other Douglas outlet.

- -Phil Marx  BMW CCA #6021  (no affiliation with Batteries Plus)

End of bmw-digest V9 #1067