Re: Starting an old engine?

>A friend of mine has an '86 535 that has not been started for four years. Is
>there any hope that this motor will be able to run? Nothing was done to the
>engine to prepare it for its long slumber. Is there anything he can do to
>prepare for a new day?
>Marc

Marc,

I had my 323i sit for approx. 5 years without any prep.  I did the
following before starting the engine:

     1. syphoned the old gas out of the tank and put in fresh gas.

     2. changed the fuel filter

     3. changed the oil and coolant.

     4. pulled the plugs, put some light oil in the cylinders, and
        turned it over by hand. (I was surprised at how easy it turned
        over)

     5. tried spinning it over with the starter.

     6. put in new spark plugs and replaced the air filter

I then started the engine, which took some cranking.  It ran very rough
at first, but settled down to a smooth idle after a little bit.

Problems that I had:

     1. Fuel gauge wouldn't register properly.  Fixed by removing fuel
        sender and cleaning varnish off it.

     2. Cold start valve not working.

I wouldn't replace the fuel pump(s) unless you have a problem that
points to it/them as the culprit.

Ed Walker
'80 323i
'72 tii