Re: "Super eta" in '88?

Bill Tubbs wrote:
>At the risk of being repetitive on the topic, I guess I've gotten confused
>about the 'super eta' engine dialog.  I have an 88 528e, which, if I read
>things right has the 'super eta' engine.  The only thing different that I
>see in Bentley's is that it has an additional 6hp, and has dual exhausts
>from engine to tailpipe.  I have no desire to mess with the engine because
>I'm hoping to stretch its 177k to over 300k, but I am curious as to what the
>controversy is all about.  What practical difference is the 88 engine over
>the 82-87 series?  Is it good, bad, or just different?
>
>Bill Tubbs

All '88 MY (US) eta engines (in both 325 and 528e models) had a camshaft
with extra bearing surfaces (7 total), larger valves (42mm intake and 36mm
exhaust vs 40/34), lower restriction catalytist, improved DME Motronic 1.1
with adaptive idle control (for when you leave the dipstick loose),
adaptive  lambda control loop and self-diagnostic capability.  Power went
from 121 to 127 hp with improved throttle response at all speeds.  Peak
power speed raised 550 rpm to 4800 rpm and max engine speed raised from
5000 rpm to 5250 rpm.  BMW never referred to it as a "super" eta.  I called
it the "swan song" edition.

- -Phil Marx   BMWCCA #6021