"Super eta" in '88?

At the risk of being repetitive on the topic, I guess I've gotten confused
about the 'super eta' engine dialog.  I have an 88 528e, which, if I read
things right has the 'super eta' engine.  The only thing different that I
see in Bentley's is that it has an additional 6hp, and has dual exhausts
from engine to tailpipe.  I have no desire to mess with the engine because
I'm hoping to stretch its 177k to over 300k, but I am curious as to what the
controversy is all about.  What practical difference is the 88 engine over
the 82-87 series?  Is it good, bad, or just different?

Bill Tubbs