chain loose 318is '91?

Ive got a 1991 318is. About two years ago I had a slight clinking noise at
startup, especially when it was cold out. I fixed with a new chain tensioner
for about $150. Now I thought that I had the same problem, but the chain
rattles when I'm excellerating.
I went into the shop and got the tensioner replaced. That didnt fix it!
The we dropped the oil pan to see if the oil pump was loose, effecting the
oil pressure and the chain pressure. That didnt fix it.
When they were in there they found pieces from some part up above. We don't
know where these parts came from but we are suspecting that they are part of
the tensioning system.
My question is...how musch approx would it cost to take chain system apart
and has anyone else run into this problem before?
My concern is that we get in there for half a grand and we still dont find
the problem.

mark bolmida
mbolmida@domain.elided
91 red 318is