Used BMW (E28) Advice Needed

Everyone,

I'm in need of some advice here, and I am hoping that someone can help me
out and give me some feedback or suggestions.  All help is welcome!

My basic dilemma is this---I just recently purchased a new truck as my
primary (only) vehicle (I live in Michigan where it snows most of the
year).....and I would eventually like to get a "weekend driver" to drive
around in the summer, something that is not too expensive (say, around
$5000 or $6000), yet which will last me for several years.  I am after
something which is relatively sporty, quick (0-60 in the 7-second range), a
stick shift (dont want an auto, as they are not as much fun), not too
small, and that I can put about 5k a year on (if that) and keep for several
years.

I think that I would like a 5-series, as it seems to fit the bill of being
sporty yet a nice sized vehicle that can comfortably seat more than 2
people.  After searching the web, I think that the E28 535i sounds like an
attractive vehicle.  If I had to write out my realistic "wish list" I think
I would want a 1986 or 1987 vintage 535i/535is with about 100-120k, a 5
speed, in mint condition, from somewhere down South where there is no snow
or salt so that I dont get into something which needs body work.

I checked it out on traderonline.com and it seems as though there are
plenty of these vehicles available in this price range, around $5k, give or
take a grand depending on mileage and condition.

My expectations about this vehicle (86-87 535i manual) would be that it
would be a reliable vehicle with much life left in it, hopefully requiring
no major work (such as engine overhaul, trans rebuild, clutch, etc) at this
"lower" mileage, with a nice body which would not rust much on me (I would
only drive it in the summer), and which would be fairly sporty and quick
(could keep up with a Volvo 740 turbo, perhaps?).  I've read that the TRX
tires are hard to find, so that would be something to consider, and that
the automatics have some problems, but since I wont buy an auto that doesnt
seem like much of an issue.

My basic question to all of you is:  Is the vehicle I have described (86-87
535i manual) something that will likely fit my needs and be a reliable
vehicle for me?  Is the E28 535 a fairly quick/sporty car?  (note that I am
not looking for a dragster or something that handles like a 911.  Just want
a nice good-handling car that will get up and go).  What kind of things
should I be aware of??  Any other cars which I have missed?  ( I chose the
535 over the 525/8? as it has the bigger engine). I think the 7 series
might be too big for my needs?

I've never had the chance to drive a 5 series.....My friend has an 87 325
manual 2-door with 161k, and it is pretty quick, though it could use a
little more punch (might be the miles?).  I am assuming that with the
bigger block and not *that* much extra weight, that the 535i would be even
faster, right?  I know that the 325 2 door is a pretty tight fit for more
than 2 people, and I really dont want something that small....hence the
reason I am looking at the 5 series:>)

I'm not ready to go jump out and buy one yet, it will probably be several
months before I am in a financial position to do this, but I thought I
would post this question and get some ideas as far as things to look for so
I can think this through....Whatever I buy, I plan on keeping it for a long
time.....this is going to be that "fun" car that I buy when I am young and
keep until I can afford a new 540i someday:>)

Thanks to all for their help.  Please email me directly at kc8lbp@domain.elided
as my school address will be expiring in 3 weeks when I graduate and I am
going to have to un/re sub to the list.

All help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Ben