Re: ATE power disks

owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided writes:

> I would think (and I would bet SteveD would agree) that if you are not
>  planning on trips to the race track, the Power Disks are a major waste of
>  money. For street driving (even spirited street driving) the stock vented
>  front rotor should suffice. You find the (gas slotted) power disk and
>  crossdrilled rotor crowd at Watkins Glen and places like that where the
>  extra braking power is needed. It is my understanding that the slots help
>  dissipate heat across the rotor, and in turn keep this heat from boiling
the
>  brake fluid.

- -The slots are also there for gassing.
- -They cost LESS than a factory BMW would have cost me.
- -havent noticed any significant pad wear, and neither have any my friends who
also run them
- -They look much cooler behind the wheel than a factory rotor.

Even if you don't use them on the track, i would hardly call them a waste of
money.
The stock rotors will suffice, like you said, but so will the ATEs. seems to
me like people like to bad mouth ATE's because its the 'cool' thing to do or
something...i don't get it. Either rotor will do its job just fine. In this
case, the deciding factor should be which you can get a better deal on, IMHO.

Kyle B.    NCC
'87 325is