Brake Problems (e28)

     To all drivers that enjoy their brakes...

     Last week I asked a question and got lots of answers.  To those I say,
     "THANKS!"   The digest is great for gathering information.  In the
     same spirit I wanted to share my brake problem so others do not run
     into the same situation I did.

     My driver's side caliper locked up on me yesterday.  Thankfully the
     damage to other components was not severe.  What really upset me was
     that I misdiagnosed it as a failing wheel bearing.  I was planning to
     have my neighborhood suspension garage repair it this weekend.  In
     hindsight I was really of base.

     Top signs your caliper might be going bad (at least this happened to
     me in a very short period of time)

     >  "squeal" from the wheel area when braking and not braking.
     >  more acceleration needed to get up a GO!
     >  steering wheel vibrates, as if front end alignment needed.
     >  car pulls to one side when you let go of the steering wheel.
     >  odor from wheel area...(followed by smoke).
     >  large amount of brake dust in the wheel.

     E-mail me for how the repair went, if interested.  I also have a
     helpful tip to tell if the caliper is bad or if you have a bad brake
     line.  The repair took less that 90 minutes.

     Nate Bean
     1986 535i  197k miles