RE: diff noises

> > im on my second diff, and its now starting to make noise.
> > my friend is on his third.
> >

> What the heck kinda lube are you all using back there?  I
> have 188k on the diff on my 1987 325iS and it groans on slow
> tight turns, but that's a good thing (good lockup). You
> should have seen the crap that came out of the diff right
> after I bought it (at 181k miles).  I have flushed it
> out and now run Redline 75w-90  gear oil.  If you want
> more slip, get the GM limited slip additive and try a bit
> of that until the noises go away.

	If GM additive doesn't help, try switching to Mobil 80w-90LS
synthetic differential oil
(http://www.mobil.com/business/datasheets/pds/automotive/transmission/hd80w9
0.html). Same weight as RedLine, but apparently less slippery enough to
eliminate the groaning.
	RedLine MTL, on the other hand, is god sent to used manual
transmissions.

alex