535i question

     Good evening fellow BMW fans!
     Long time reader, first time sender!

     I wanted to throw out a question on my 1986 535i... IDLE PROBLEMS!
     Sometimes there are no problems.  Other times it just up and dies for
     no reason.  Sometimes it is with the A/C on.  Other times involve
     r.p.m. deceleration from 4000 to 750, as it pushing in the clutch and
     slowing down as I approach a changing light on the highway.

     My guess is EGR valve, but I can not find any other information in my
     service manuals.  I am also thinking bad air flow meter.

     Nate Bean
     1986 535i