[E36] Help! Thermostat problem

I would be very grateful if someone with in-depth knowledge of E36 325i
thermostat knowledge would try and answer a few questions for me. I
purchased the car about 3 months ago. About 2 months ago I replaced my
thermostat due to slow warm up. It worked out fine, now my care heats up
fast and the needle stays right on the 12:00 position (I have put 3k miles
on after the change). I did not have a manual (waiting for the Bentley
manual) when I did the replacement. I recently purchased the Haynes manual
and it talks about a vent hole on the thermostat, which needs to be placed
in the 12:00 position. I did not specifically notice the vent hole and
don't remember the orientation in which I installed it. Although, I do
vaguely remember trying to determine if there was a critical orientation.
How important is this? Should I pull it apart and check it immediately?
Could it trap air and cause a hot spot on the head which would lead to
problems? Is the Haynes manual even correct? As I have said, I have put 3k
miles on it after the change before I found out the new info. I have
noticed that my car rattles or knocks very slightly around 2200 rpms under
moderate acceleration, but only under certain conditions (I always use
premium gas). It has a Jim C. chip in it. I can't remember if it did this
before the thermostat was changed. Any Ideas? Thanks.

Bart
* Bart Hogan                    *
* Institute for Plasma Research *
* University of Maryland        *