RE:Help: E30 +1/+2 wheels and tires

Alex,

Are you autoxing for fun or competition?  Because changing to a 15" rim
will move you to the CSP class.  Otherwise the car is in B-Stock.  (SCCA
Classes - It was last year)  Now if you have other mods that move you
CSP anyway no big deal.  You can check out the SCCA web sight for
classification rules.  Watch out for the Miatas in B-Stock and Hondas in
CSP ;-)

That said, I use to have 15" TSW Hockenhiem R's on my 325i.  Looked
great but they were heavy.  Most aftermarket rims are heavy unless they
are forged.  Then you are talking $$$.  They also rubbed slightly on the
plastic liner at full lock.  I had Dunlop D40 M2 205/55's mounted and
was told by Discount Tire Direct that Dunlops are narrower than most
other tires in the same size.  A 225/50 tire would definitely have
rubbed against the strut if mounted on the Hocks.  The offset was 20mm ,
I believe.  Unless you have suspension mods I wouldn't go any wider than
a 205 tire for either the street or track.  I would recommend getting a
set of 15" or 16" rims for the street and then using the stock 14" rims
with 'R' compound tires for autox/track.

I haven't used any 'R' compound tire, yet.  I will be buying my first
set in a couple of weeks, Kuhmos heat cycled from Tire Rack.   The
opinions that I have received state they are the closest thing to the
old BFG R1's. The G-Force hasn't been around long enough yet. Yoko A032R
good rain track tire. Hoosier R3So4, fast but wear out quickly.

Good Luck,

Tarun

91 M3 PZeros for street, Kuhmos for autox/track
89 325i back to 14" rims and Potenzas
95 525i Michelins