TRX Wheels and Tires

I am sure this has been covered before, but I just bought some TRX wheels that
supposidly came on an '86 635CSi with brand new mounted Michelin 220 VR 390
tires. I say supposidly because the wheels are modular with polished rims with
a black cast basket weave center fastened with 30 or so allen head chrome
plated bolts, and they were made in Japan which seemed strange. At the price
of $500 for the set I didn't care but...

Anyway, I was wondering if it is possible to mount any other type tires on
these whese wheels when the tires wear out (which given their wear rating of
180 that won't be too long), since new tires are over $200 apiece. I am not
about to spend $1000 every time I need tires, so I guess that explains why TRX
wheels are pretty cheap on the used market!

Bob

'84 633CSi
'82 B9 Alpina (e23)
'84 733i