Re: changing pinion bearing...?

Rod,
I replaced the pinion, bearing, and spur gears in my formerly owned
Izuzu Impulse. If the truth be told, I actually was more of an assistant
to the fellow who orchestrated the procedure (he is a professional
wrench turner, and I am merely an amateur).
It was no fun at all (and he even had the proper tools, and experience
for the job). It's not like suspension, engine, or brake work. That
stuff is fun!
Granted, we didn't have the benifit of being able to remove the diff (it
had a live axle), but reaching it was not the PITA part. The
installation of the pinion, and bearing was, but only because if their
alignment were a few hairs off, it could do bad things.
If the shop's labor charge is close to reasonable, let 'em at it.
Stuff like this too expensive to do twice.
The only reason that I was physically involved in the repair was that
the mechanic was a friend of mine and charged me no labor.

Hope this helps!

- --
Do Svedanya!
Neil Hitze
BMW CCA 140931
'91 318is
'85 318i
Valleyview State Home
      for the
 Incurably Artistic

"..the underdog will eventually survive...." --Colin James Hay