[E36 - M52] Oil on Headers - HELP!!

Hello Guys,
                 Recently, I noticed burnt smell from the engine
compartment.  Today, I noticed smoke (oh shit!).  Pulled my car over and
popped the hood.  Seemed like there were a few drops of oil that dripped or
spilled onto the headers/downpipe.  Dunno where the oil came from.  No oil
hoses near.  No leak from oil cap.  It was fine after the oil got fried.  It
happened again later in during the day.  This time it wasn't too smokey,
just smelly. Can anyone guess what is going on?  I don't wanna see my car go
up in smoke.  Thank you.

Regards,
Brandon Ong
Singapore