<E36 M3> dead fuel gauge

Hello,
I have a 95 M3 with a dead fuel gauge.  The needle is stuck on empty with
the low fuel lamp lit up.  It started misbehaving intermittently over the
last month or so and now appears shot.  I am thinking (hoping) it's merely
a bad connection and not a bad sender.  The OBC also reads zero (or blanks)
on the "range" setting so it's not the gauge.  Question:  where the hell is
the tank/sender/wires?  I am cursing BMW for not producing a manual right now.

Has anyone else had this problem?  The car is a late production (7/95) M3
purchased new 8/95 and now with only 35K miles.  I don't want to take it to
the dealer just yet ($$$).  Thanks in advance.
- -Al
95 M3