re re:transmission

Moe is correct. The practice of using the transmission to slow the car
was necessary bsck
in the "bad old days" when  breaks ver just plain marginal. My 1960 MG
has a lousy
transmission; but it was less lousy than my brakes. With modern brakes
you are unessarily
sacrificing the life of your tranmsmission and possibly over reving your
engine to save on
brakes that are  really capable of stopping your car.  In other words:
DON"T DO IT.

Holly
Yes I am old enough to have received the MG new as a 16 birthday
present.