New to the list, want some input regarding my 1986 325 and possible upgrades...

Hey all,
I bought a 1986 325 a year and a half ago, I've swapped out many parts (car
had 140k), a Mass air meter, changed the head gasket (leaking oil like a
small pump), master cylinder, on and on.  Mostly I've replaced every little
thing that would help it to look new, fasteners, switches, rubber and stuff.

Anyhow, get to the point, right?  I've installed the Dinan chip, that really
let the engine rev more freely and seems to increase the power a bit.  I
also put the Jacobs ignition: Ultra Coil, computer, wires, that I had
sitting around (pulled it off the Ranger that I'd sold, the results were
more dramatic with the Ford).  Nothing drastic, it was already a pretty
smooth engine.  And finally, the K&N filter, which may have made a bit of a
difference, but is mainly a cost justification for me, buy it once instead
of once every year or so.

I've heard about swapping in higher geared rear ends, say out of a 325i, and
a bit of a sacrifice in top end, but I think I'd rather produce more power
instead.  The stock gears seem fine since this engine simply makes one
smooth band of torque all over the tachometer, it's just not enough "oomph"
for me.  There don't appear to be any exhaust options, since the ETA engine
appears to have a strong suit in torque, I don't know if I want to
"experiment" with free-er flowing exhaust.  Has anyone had success with
exhaust mods?  I also heard something about cold air induction and I looked
at some fellow named "Corky"'s page in search of pictures/details, but found
none.  Anyway, I'm looking for ideas, projected or tried and true that work.
I'm
not beyond looking for an "i" engine to modify a bit and rebuild, but that'd
be
at least a year off.

I'd better hold my questions to that, if I bring up questions about updating
bumpers to the 89-91 style I'll probably lose anyone possibly interested in
responding to one or more of the above.  ;)

Thank you in advance for any help, no matter how "big" or "small"...

- -Rod Birch