528e Pulse Sensor Spacing

The Bently manual specifies 1.0mm +/-0.3mm for the 3/87-on manufacture cars.

I couldn't find a reference for other cars or dates of manufacture, and I
assume that since your engine had two sensors on the flywheel it is an early
engine w/o the Motronic 1.1 injection.

That said, I cannot imagine why the 1.0mm figure is not a good one on your
motor as well. I would think that the position of the hole (timing wise for
the timing reference sensor) is quite critical. I am curious how you
positioned the hole precisely.

I have had problems with corrosion on the timing reference connector-to-
harness-connector (the one on the engine valve cover on the eta engine) where
it occasionally develops enough resistance that the injection computer will
not fire the ignition or the injectors. This is eventhough using an ohm meter
showed 970 ohms measured at the same connector. Try cleaning the 3 male spades
on the sensor plug, then measure the actual resistance of the sensor not at
the plug, but at ECU plug (pins 25 and 26 with the eta cars up to 3/87 ;these
ECUs have only two rows of connectors). If you have more than 1000 ohms, you
are probably losing the signal in the connector or harness.

Good luck,
Bob Coviello