<e38> M60 info - plus chip question

I had an interesting conversation w/ a BMW NA rep today.  I was trying to
ascertain whether my car actually had the certification (no paperwork and
nearly a month later) as well as ask a few '95 740i questions.  I told her I
had been unable to find record of the chip change I had heard about to make
the engine run hotter and burn off the sulphur...she said that my car was
manufactured in 7/95 which was after the date that BMW began installing the
modified chip from the factory.  They began this in 3/95 for all models with
the M60 and auto trans and 5/95 for all with M60 and manual trans.  Her
theory, and I'll admit that that's all it is, is that those with the chip
from the factory may have been less prone to the problem, if exposed,
because they didn't have a period of time w/ the bad gas and running
colder....who knows...gave me some comfort for a few hours.  Damn, that's
the problem with writing things down later!  :-)
BTW, has anyone installed a Jim C or Dinan chip in their 740?  (or 540 for
that matter!) that would care to give me their impression?  Also...Dinan has
a tranny chip for $199...any experience w/ that?
John    http://www.wenet.net/users/johnt/bmw.html
'95 740i
'94 318i    FOR SALE - $15,495 / OBO  (San Francisco Bay Area)
'87 325